The Southwest Coil Newsletter has always been technical in nature. Let’s take a break from business, politics and life’s distractions to see how informed you are about other topics in general. The answers are listed below!
1. Which country produces the most coconuts in the world?
- United States
2. Who is Anna Kournikova?
- KGB Spy
- Former Ukrainian Ambassador to the USA
- Tennis Player from Russia
- None of the Above
3. Which country’s airline is KLM?
4. IMDB rates movies and developed a list of best movies of all time. This list was based on total awards, popularity, and cinematic greatness. There are 10 selections, and only 5 of them were in the Top 10 of all time. Choose 5 from this list. You only need to get 3 correct answers to score on this question.
- Forest Gump
- Raging Bull
- Rocky I
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
- Godfather II
- The Sound of Music
- The Wizard of OZ
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Lord of the Rings – Return of the King
- Citizen Kane
5. Which country is known as the economic powerhouse of Europe?
- United Kingdom
6. XM/Sirius Radio had 1 ½ million people send in their favorite songs from the 60’s. First was a list of the Top 600 songs, and second was a list of the Top 10 songs. There are 10 selections below – 5 of them were in the Top 10. To answer this question correctly, you will only need to select 5 of the 10 and only 3 of those 5 must be correct in order to be in the Top 10.
- Stand by me – Ben E. King
- Cara Mia – Jay and the Americans
- Lion Sleeps Tonight – Tokens
- Downtown -Petula Clark
- I Want to Hold Your Hand – Beatles
- The Twist- Chubby Checker
- Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley
- House of the Rising Sun – Animals
- My Girl – Temptations
- Light My fire – The Doors
7. Which planet has the feeling that the sun rises in the west?
8. What city is one mile wide, two miles long, and has 177 canals that extend 28 total miles?
- New Orleans
9. Who sold the most (45) records in the 50’s? There was a Top 5 record, and all of them are in this selection of 10 choices. Select 5, and you only need 3 correct ones to accurately answer this question?
- Connie Francis
- Dean Martin
- Fats Domino
- Pat Boone
- Elvis Presley
- Chuck Berry
- Bobby Darrin
- Ricky Nelson
- Perry Como
- Little Richard
10. The coldest desert in the world is the Gobi. In what country is the Gobi located?
Answers to Southwest Coil’s Newsletter – “General Knowledge Test”:
1. D – Philippines
2. D – Tennis player from Russia
3. E – Holland
4. B – Raging Bull (#4 of all time)
D – One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (#9 of all time)
G – Wizard of OZ (#8 of all time)
H – Lawrence of Arabia (#10 of all time)
J – Citizen Kane (#6 of all time)
Note: Forest Gump was 16, Rocky I was 40, Godfather II was 17, Sound of Music was 18, and Lord of the Rings was 33.
Top 10 were: Godfather I, Shawshank Redemption, Schindler’s List, Raging Bull, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, and Lawrence of Arabia.
5. C – Germany
6. B – Cara Mia Mi (#6 in the 60’s)
D – Downtown (#7 in the 60’s)
E – I Want to Hold Your Hand (#8 in the 60’s)
H – House of the Rising Sun (#3 in the 60’s
I – My Girl (#9 in the 60’s)
Note: Stand by Me #31, Lion Sleeps Tonight #11, The Twist #14, Can’t Help Falling in Love #40, and Light My Fire #50.
Top 10: Yesterday #10, My girl #9, I Want to Hold Your Hand #8, Downtown #7, Cara Mia Mi #6, California Girls #5, Pretty Woman #4, House of the Rising Sun #3, Satisfaction #2 and No. 1 was Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers.
7. B – Venus
8. C – Venice
9. C – Fats Domino (#5)
D – Pat Boone (#2)
E – Elvis Presley (#1)
H – Ricky Nelson (#4)
I – Perry Como (#3)
10. A – Magnolia
If you had 9 or 10 correct, you should sign on for Jeopardy. Seven or 8 – you are very competitive, 6 or below, you need to work on “useless general knowledge”.
Hope you took a break from a busy workday to have a little fun!